Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Houses, houses, houses

MAN! Who knew house hunting was so hard? I have now seen 13 houses in my price range and desired area. And how many of those have I really really liked????? Two...but even those two have issues.

One of them is on an itty-bitty private road and has virtually no yard (0.05 acres, mostly house) and a garage that looks like it will fall over if the doors are opened. But it is SO cute and has character. Okay, so the kitchen was lacking and it has wood paneling throughout, that they are in the process of filling in the cracks so they can paint over it. But I really liked it (it even has a laundry shoot!), except it would be a PITA in the winter to get out of the road, because it is shoveled by the residents and the owner says the two houses closest to the real road never shovel. And there is only parking for one car. BAH!

The other is a house with a great porch, great yard, a working honest-to-goodness garage (even has an opener), and decent location (overlooks a golf course). SO you may ask, what is your hang up with it??? Well, the previous owner updated everything (new electrical, plumbing, windows, carpet, tile, etc), which is AWESOME, but it has no personality. Though I guess that means I can add to it (and really paint that is not beige would make a ton of difference), but as I look around my ghetto apartment I realize how much I love the old window sills, wood floors and the tall tall ceilings. Basically, I LOVE older homes!! And while the house was built in 1920, the inside looks like it belongs in Eagle Mountain or one of the Jordans (aka the twilight zones). But really it is an awesome house (the yard makes me happy just thinking about the crazieness of it) and I am going to go see it again on Friday and if I still like it, I will make an offer. And if they accept my offer the first thing I will do when I get those keys is paint those stupid beige walls!!! (Which is funny, because my apartment walls are beige, but it doesn't bug me, probably because the flooring isn't beige, too)

Bah, finding a house is hard and stressful!

3 comments:

Mary, Jeremy and Liam said...

Jenni! I love to paint! I will help you out :)

macarace said...

I want to know where Mary will find time to paint when she is starting school. :) Hope to see Mary when I come down to help move. The house is cute, and doesn't look like you will have to work on it forever. A plus in my book.

Holly Ewell said...

You thought my trip was silly huh? Says the girl with satan-resistant shoes. It was a lot of fun and the whole area is gorgeous and therefore a great place to visit even if you aren't Twilight obsessed like me.=) We should get together sometime.