Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Two Saturdays ago, I wanted to get tickets to Wicked, but the line was super long for the drawing, so I gave up, ate a Belgian waffle and went on a tour of the City/County Building.

Here is the outside of the building. It has been 20 years since the remodel was complete, so the city opened up and the historical society gave tours. AWESOME!
Here is the mascot of Salt Lake City. It is a griffin. I call him Falkor
Here is the view from the midway up the tower.
The library from the tower. Very cool to see all of it.
Clockworks.
A note from Walt.
.
I am guessing he was talking about this
More clockworks.
A cool ceiling (not in the tower)
A playing card on the Mayor's ceiling. The story is that when the building was celebrating the completion of the remodel a magician came through and did a trick and this card hit the ceiling and stayed.
A close up of the card. It is a 7 of spades.
I must say that was a gorgeous building and I am totally jealous the County no longer occupies it! And while it was fun wandering the tour guides all had conflicting years for the earthquake that was the cause for the remodel. It was either in 1933, 1934, 1935 or 1942.

3 comments:

BonnieandSteve said...

Those picture are great! Anthony especially liked the pictures of the gears. I might have to steal that from you.

Tamaran said...

Three things. First, the card is totally random! Second, that doesn't even look like Falcor. He didn't have wings-he was just a flying dog. The mascot griffin you posted totally reminds me of Puff. Third, leave it to you to note the conflicting dates of the earthquake...

Jenni said...

1. Apparently the chimes are broken so Walt didn't want people messing with it (or so I am guessing).
2. I named it the first thing that came to mind and as soon as I saw it I thought "that's the flying dog from neverending stooooooorrrrryyyyyy, nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah"
3. You would notice too!!! : ) oh and I totally called the lady on the 1942, because she wasn't even close to everyone else, so she told me to forget that she said it, but I couldn't....