Tuesday, January 27, 2009

San Francisco, take 2

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to go to San Francisco for a conference. It was a grand time.

I flew in the day before the conference started and did a little sight seeing. And since I was just there in May, I got lost a lot less (which was very nice, because at least in May when I got lost I had Meadow to get me unlost and this time I was by myself).

But here is the south-west view from my hotel room. I was on the 23 floor, which was cool, except looking down made me a little sick and my hotel key got demagnetized a lot, so I spent lots of time in the elevator going to the front desk and back. And every time I would have to explain that no I did not keep my key by my phone. Though the last day I did realize that it was by my camera case that has a magnet closure, but whatever..
Here is my view looking down. It was a dealership.
This was a dude that had a dog, a cat and a rat in a tower. I probably should have paid him a $1 for the picture, but I took it from the moving cable car, so I didn't really have the option.
This is the planter boxes on the wharf. I am going to try and model the boxes I build after these.
Obligatory picture of the sea lions, they had the welcome back party the weekend before, hence there are not as many as the end or middle of the sea lion season.
This was a pretty cathedral that was next to the cable car line that was adjacent to my hotel. I believe it is the Grace Cathedral Episcopal Church (or at least that is what google leads me to believe)
Picture of Coit Tower from the cable car.
Golden Gate Bridge - taken from the rec yard at Alcatraz. This was my second time to Alcatraz, but I still took the audio tour and looked at everything, though I think the best part of it was on the boat ride home, when one seagull pooped on 3 people, it got the first guy and the came back for the other two, so funny! Especially since it happened to people on the other side of the boat from me.
ME! at the rec yard at Alcatraz
Me in front of the rubble pile and lighthouse on Alcatraz.
Last time I went to Alcatraz the Agave Trail was closed, but this time it was OPEN! It was a very nice trail (okay stairway). So now I have seen everything that is open to tourists and never need to go back!
View of the Golden Gate Bridge from the Agave Trail.
View of the Golden Gate bridge from the top of Coit Tower. I decided that I had enough time on Sunday morning before I needed to catch the BART to the airport, so I took my luggage and myself to Coit tower, it required me catching two buses, but I got there. And I must say it was worth the hassle.
This is the top of the tower. For those of you who do not know about Coit Tower, it is a monument to the firefighters in the 1906 fires, that were caused by the earthquake. And it has murals from the New Deal program for artists, which are amazing!
Here is a view from Coit Tower, I thought the roof top playground was cool (it is atop the blue building)
Here are the stairs I lugged my suitcase up. Luckily, it was only 1 flight, because otherwise I would have died carrying it up 21 flights.
My trip was great except for the traveling. My flight out was delayed for 2.5+ hours and my flight home was delayed 2+ hours. And when I got home it was snowing badly and just as I got on the freeway my passenger wiper flipped off, which left me with no snow clear ability on that side and when I did have to use my wipers to clear the driver's side it would dig into the glass. Quite frustrating.

But I will say this, after my last trip to San Francisco I left thinking I could never live in that city, but after this trip, I could TOTALLY live there. It is truly an amazing city.

Oh and my conference was great, I learned a lot and met a lot of cool people. Can't wait for next year in San Diego!

Oh and HUGE THANKS! to Tamaran for watching KPP and picking up Nova from Doggy Boarding!!!

3 comments:

macarace said...

Thanks for the fast update. I am so glad you had a good time. It looks like from the pictures that you had good weather. It is a cute picture of you at Alcatraz, and I do like the flower beds.

Tamaran said...

Thanks for the overview of the trip. I did have to laugh that the conference wasn't mentioned much... I said much. I know you did mention it...briefly! Joking aside, I'm glad you had a good time.

Oh, and you should have seen how hard I laughed when you texted me about knowing that I was kidding about not remembering that I was supposed to check on KPP. I laughed so hard. Unfortunately, Rick was in his cube. He looked at me like I was an idiot. I tried to explain what was so funny. He didn't get it.

BonnieandSteve said...

Oh it is nice to have you back safe and sound! Thanks for all the great pictures!!!!!